Sunday, October 19, 2008

Camp Recap

Is it really the end of the weekend? Where did it go? Sigh. It's been a weekend unlike any other I've had. Friday morning, I drove to Arapahoe for Camp WholeHeart. The trip in itself was pretty interesting because I got a little lost. That's my lack of direction sense for you, and the fact that camp was way back in the boondocks. I finally arrived in time for lunch and a lot of preparation before the kids showed up. When they did, chaos ensued. But it was nice to finally put faces with the names I've been reading for months. Soon, it was time for dinner and I have to say that Camp Don Lee (where Camp WholeHeart was held) knows how to do food. It certainly wasn't the camp food I had imagined. After dinner, we held the "opening ceremonies" because the theme for camp this year was the Olympics. I'm not sure that all the kids really got the significance of it but it was still fun to watch. The final event of the night was the campfire and, of course, smores. One of the campers, Alivia, latched herself onto me for the campfire, saying that we were going to be "the very best of friends". Yikes. I wasn't sure how to handle that but I was sweet to her. Did I mention that she was the one singing the national anthem at the TOP of her lungs? Needless to say, I was glad we were staying in different cabins. Don't get me wrong - she was a sweet kid, just a complete hand full. I went to bed that night at 9:30pm, which is typical of me only if I'm sick. I was just exhausted though. It was a good thing that I turned in early because I had a tough time sleeping. First of all, the kids were still up when I went to bed. So I could hear The Jonas Brothers and songs from the Grease soundtrack streaming in my window for the first couple hours. Oh, and little girls singing The Jonas Brothers...loudly. After that stopped, Nancy (my roommate) was really sawing some logs, if you know what I mean. She'd warned me that she snored but I didn't realize it would be that bad. I ended up falling asleep with my iPod on. Not ideal...but it worked. And I dreamed about Ben. Apparently, it was just meant to be a restless night.

Saturday, I decided to forget about taking a shower. We were at camp, right? And the bathroom wasn't exactly immaculate. But again, it was camp so what could I really expect? The day started with a big breakfast. Then, it was off to the different stations - nutrition, games, and arts and crafts. I was put in charge of the younger "Jamaican" boys (each camper was assigned to a different country) for the morning. It was my first time really being in charge of kids I didn't know and I think it went alright. After lunch, a variety of activities were planned for the campers that would keep them out of the rain and cold (originally, sailing had been on the agenda) but since I wasn't responsible for any kids at the time, I took a little nap instead. Then it was time for Tai Chi. I don't think the kids appreciated it much (I heard a lot of "This is weird!") but I really liked it. I wouldn't say that I felt an "overwhelming sense of calm" as the instructors mentioned but it was fun to do, nonetheless. Next, we had a guest speaker, Evelyn Oregon, who worked logistics at the Beijing Olympics. The kids had LOTS of questions for her and she handled it well. She met Michael Phelps! That's when you know you're big ;). After she spoke, it was time for me to head home. Visibility was bad already with the rain and I was a little nervous about driving on those back roads. I made it home though and it was so nice to have a hot shower, some soup, and Grey's Anatomy.

Today, I was pretty useless and not at all productive. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I was able to get everything done that was absolutely necessary but that isn't saying much. Then, Marina had a get-together at her place this evening. Only Kristy, Jodi, and I showed up but it was still fun. We played a game I had never played before that made me feel a little dumb but I enjoyed it regardless. I'm really trying to be social because I know I have the tendency to isolate myself. I don't want to be a hermit. I used to give Ben such a hard time about being set in his ways but I am too. I think that happens when you live by yourself for a while. It's only been about 2 months for me and I'm already acting like an old lady.

As a final note, being at camp this weekend made me really want to watch the Olympics the next time around. They're so powerful. I can't believe I've never given them much attention. And, of course, the Olympics are going to be in London in favorite city. I can't help but wonder where I'll be in 2012...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The weekend did go by fast but I am so glad you had a good time at the camp. I have never been to a camp so I am sure that was a very interesting experience. I enjoyed looking at your pictures on FB as well. Sorry you had to go through the snoring, lol, my old roommate used to cut logs on a serious note and it was horrible, so I felt your pain on that one!

I have came to the conclusion that when we have get 2gethers or outings it will be the same "crowd". I would have been apart of that crowd but I had to babysit all day Sunday for a friend *unplanned* so by the time I got home I had to finish Damon's assignment. I heard the name of the game yall played and I have NEVER heard of it and I wish I could have been there to play it. I will be at the next one! ;-)
I already know I am a homebody and an old lady, lol. I have already heard from my friends im boring because all I do is school work, but that is the life I chose for 2 years, soooo oh well. However hanging with yall is great when I can do it.

I agree with you about watching the olympics the next time around. I have never been into it, but both of us will have great jobs in 2012 getting our schedules right to watch the olympics!