Friday, September 26, 2008

Better Day

It's nearly 1am and I should clearly be sleeping, especially since I'm driving to Raleigh in the morning. However, I have the urge to write. I think I'm addicted to this blogging thing. Ooh, it's thundering. Maybe it will snow in 7 days? No, I guess that doesn't apply in the fall, does it? Or in Greenville. Ha. Anyway, the weather is not what I signed on to write about.

Today started out a bit rough. It was tough to wake up this morning after last night's breakdown. I guess I had really worn myself out. And the weather wasn't helping (there I go again) because it was so gloomy. On top of that, I knew I had a day of studying (or, at least, fake studying) ahead of me with my first Research Methods test tonight. That would make anyone want to stay in bed. After a few hours, though, I started feeling a bit better. I lit a candle and made some coffee - two things I rarely do but just felt like doing today. It was actually sort of therapeutic. By the time I left for campus, I was in a decent mood.

I got to school a bit early today so I could interview Damon (my professor for Family Therapy Theories) for an assignment that's due in November. Yes, believe it or not, the Procrastination Queen is actually trying to get ahead. I had to ask him about an ethical dilemma and the one he gave me reiterated what he said at the beginning of the interview - not all ethical violations will be black and white. However, I was hoping that it would be a bit more juicy than it was. Oh well. Afterward, he asked some questions about me - where I'm from, where I got my undergraduate degree, etc. When I told him about Meredith, he was a bit surprised as he didn't realize there were that many women's colleges around anymore. So I had to fill him in a bit on the Meredith culture. He asked the question that many people ask of women's college students - how did we meet guys? Why is that everyone's first concern? Oh, and people normally ask if we're all lesbians. Thank God Damon didn't. Don't those questions sort of contradict each other though? I don't understand why there are so many misconceptions about women's colleges. Did people ask those questions of men's colleges (when there were some)? I mean, back in the day, only men were even allowed to go to college. Was it a concern that they were gay? Why is it so unheard of that women would only want to go to school with women? Personally, I loved not having guys in the classroom or even on the campus. That's not why I was going to college. And the ones who were for that reason could take their little butts to State. ;) Anyway, Damon told me that I was "an excellent writer" which I REALLY appreciated, especially since I've been doubting both my skills and intelligence lately. He was fun to talk to and I'm glad I got the opportunity to interact with him one on one. I hope I have that same chance with my other professors throughout the semester.

Then came the dreaded Research Methods exam. I really had no idea what to expect and, even though it was open book/open notebook, I was nervous. As it turned out, it was really easy. But because I finished quickly and thought it was easy, I was even more nervous. Then she proceeded to grade them right in front of us...as we sat in silence waiting for everyone to finish. She didn't want us to leave because there were a few things she wanted to talk about after the test. I wish I would have brought something to do. I haven't had to sit around after a test since high school. And what she talked to us about was a little confusing. She tiptoed around what she really wanted to say. She kept alluding to some sort of inappropriate behavior that she had observed but she never said what it was. How can we avoid said inappropriate behavior if we don't even know what it is? I have a feeling though that it's the whispers and facial expressions we make during class. When that occurred to me, I felt sort of guilty. I don't want to be inappropriate or immature in class. It's just that SOMETIMES, I have to make a face. That's just the way it is in this class. But I'm going to try to be better...at least more subtle. After class, a few of us had a venting session in the parking lot. That's fair though, right? We're not doing it in front of her face. I was in a good mood when I left campus because I did well on the test :).

Something else put me in a good mood too... Before class was over, Kristy asked if I wanted to come over to do homework this weekend. I know it's simple but it was a nice gesture. I think she knows that I get a little lonely over the weekends. Maybe I'm starting to make some connections after all.

As a final note - Ellen Pompeo of Grey's Anatomy is going to be at MY Meredith College this Saturday speaking about Barack Obama's campaign. What?? How random is this? I thought it was a joke when I first heard it. But it's true. And, if I can talk myself into staying in Raleigh a little longer, I'm going to try to see her. That's too good an opportunity to pass up, right? I try not to get starstruck but, let's be honest, I love Grey's Anatomy and if the star of it is going to be that close to me, how can I not, at least, try to be there? If only it could be Patrick Dempsey...

No comments: